Everyone has a different goal when they start practicing mediation. Few want to control their mind, some want to relax their body, and others may just want to blank their emotions. The below meditation techniques are useful for beginners and can help in sleeping better. Start with 5 minutes of meditation. You can increase the duration gradually to 10 – 15 minutes.
How to Mediate: Simple Meditation for Beginners
1. Sit or lie down in a comfortable position. Use a chair that will keep your spine straight if you are sitting. If you are lying down, then keep your legs shoulder feet apart, arms on the side of your body, and head straight up.
2. Breath normally and do not try to control or focus on your breath.
3. Close your eyes and start relaxing your body parts from head to toe.
- Relax your forehead, followed by glabella (the area between eyebrows and above nose)
- Then relax your cheeks, followed by your lips and jaw
- Breath normally for around 30 seconds
- Relax your shoulders, arms, and stomach
- Now, relax your thighs, heels, and toes
- Breath normally for around 1 minute
4. Think about your favorite destination. Visualize the places you visited (like a waterfall or a garden) and feel the warmth of its weather. Keep doing it as long as you enjoy visualizing the destination.
5. Now, take long deep breaths for around 1 minute.
6. Slowly wiggle your fingers and toes. Keep taking deep breaths.
7. Rub your hands slowly and place them on your eyes in a cup shape.
8. Fold your hands and thank the universe for your healthy life and all the love that you get from your family and friends.
9. Slowly open your eyes and cherish the relaxed version of your mind and body.
How do you feel now? Do let us know in the comment section.
Bonus: Here are few apps that offer great meditation techniques for beginners.
PS: note that you do not need to track time during this meditation exercise. They are mentioned only as a reference and it’s ok to vary your actual practice time based on your mental clock.