Ever thought about interviewing for FAANG? Yes, that’s what they call five most popular technology companies – Facebook, Amazon, Apple, Netflix, and Google. All these companies have a tough interview process but not impossible to crack if you know interview tips. If you follow the below tips, then you can easily get a job in these or other companies.
These are 10 powerful interview tips that will get you hired in Fortune 500 companies.
- Research the industry
- Prepare most asked questions
- Read Resume and Job Description
- Research the Interviewers
- Use STAR approach
- Be Positive
- Prepare Questions to Ask
- Prepare Stories
- Thank You Note
- Practice, Practice, Practice
1. Research the industry and the company
Look for the latest news, forecasts, and historical data for the industry. Read key information on the company’s website, press releases, and social media platform. It would be helpful to read the latest 10K or 10Q reports if the company is public. If you are not financially savvy, then just look at their net sales and market share.
2. Prepare the most asked interview questions
- Tell me about yourself
- Why do you want to join this role in our company?
- Why are you leaving your current job?
- Strengths and weaknesses
- Future goals or where do you see yourself in five years?
- Biggest achievement
- Difficult work situation and how you handled it?
- Salary expectation
- Why should we hire you?
3. Resume and job description
Make sure you know your resume thoroughly and prepared to speak on any prior job responsibility. Identify key requirements from the job description and try to connect your experience with them.
4. Research about your interviewers
Try to look for their details on LinkedIn or other social media platforms. Knowing their interests could help with small talks during the interview.
5. Use the STAR approach to answer your questions
STAR refers to Situation, Task, Action, and Result. Adding the financial impact in your answers will be a bonus.
6. Be Positive
Be positive during the interview. Even though you may dislike your current role or company but avoid saying bad things about them. Negativity may not leave a good impression on your interviewer.
7. Prepare good questions to ask the interviewers
Asking smart questions could make your interviewer believe that you are passionate about this opportunity and have done good homework before coming for the interview. Here are a few good questions to ask.
- What are the day-to-day responsibilities of this job?
- Things that would make a person succeed in this role?
- Departments that this team partners with regularly?
- Team structure
8. Prepare Stories
Be prepared with around 15 stories from your work experience that you could use for your behavioral questions. It may seem to be a lot but during FAANG interviews even 15 would seem to be less just after speaking with 4 interviewers.
9. Thank You Note
Send a Thank You note within 24 hours of your interview. The purpose of this email is to reiterate your interest in the position and include any details that you may have missed to mention during your interview.
10. Practice, practice, and practice
Prepare your answers and practice them with your friends or family. Looking in the mirror and speaking answers aloud is a good way of practicing.
Do you have any other interview tips that we missed here? Mention in the comment section.